Smitten by wanderlust? Want to see the world while making money? Why not start a travel blog to share your travel experiences with others? Beyond it just plain being fun to write about your adventures, creating a travel blog might even be able to help you to make money travel blogging.
How to start a travel blog: step-by-step
Here’s your step-by-step guide to start a travel blog:
Step 1: Pick a niche to make money travel blogging
This part has written quite well in this article. Below I just added a few things that now come to mind.
In my opinion, blogs now have two main categories:
- travel sharing blogs (including guides, guides, tips, etc.)
- travel-inspired blogs (eg travel. around the world, traveling around the US, etc.)
Why call the 2nd blog type inspirational? Because for the majority of readers, making such trips is not easy and not everyone can do it. You have to plan in detail, prepare for health, have knowledge of long-distance driving, blah blah blah. Therefore, for myself when reading those blogs, I see mainly about “inspiration”, but the story from reading blogs to following bloggers is not feasible!
The other type, which is the type of blogging is sharing about travel. You can share your experiences here and there, or stories on the road, travel articles … With this type of blog, its practical application is higher than the first.
In addition, here are some suggestions about the niche that you can refer to your future travel blog:
- Blog specializing in your country, or travel combined cuisine
- Blog specializing in European travel / Asia / Europe where you are living
- The more economical / luxurious / travel blog about the less money possible
- Blog specializes in reviewing tour types organized by companies.
Step 2: Select a domain name
After finding the niche, the next important thing is to find a name for your travel blog. This is the name that will follow your blog for life, very important!
Using a brand name in the domain may not be an option for you when you’re just starting off. So, you should do the next best thing, select a name which you can build into a brand. Something that’s short, easy to recall. You should choose names related to the topic you want to write (travel, cooking, health care …).
Step 3: Purchase hosting and install WordPress
Simple to say like this: You want to become a professional blogger and have income from travel blog, which means you are doing business. Imagine if you are a customer who wants to reach a company. You will feel secure if you know the address of that company?
Domain names and domains are the same. A website with the link www.knowmadslife.com will attract more potential customers, www.knowmadslife.wordpress.com.
To buy domains and hosting, there are many companies offering services for you to choose from. Some of the best host providers I have used are Hostinger, A2 Hosting and Hawkhost.
For Hostinger and Hawkhost, the biggest advantage is that the price is very cheap, suitable for new bloggers for the first time and the amount of website users is not too large.
If you want a long-term website, A2 hosting is the most reasonable option.
Your hosting is important because it ensures your site loads quickly and is always available to your visitors. There are a ton of quality WordPress hosting services, but a good starting point is A2 Hosting.
In addition to always scoring well in our annual WordPress hosting survey, A2 Hosting:
- Is affordable
- Gives you a setup wizard that installs WordPress for you
- Makes it easy purchase your domain name
- Has awesome support if you ever need help
You can choose the cheapest Shared hosting plan to get started. Then, you just need to follow the simple signup process. You can buy your domain name with cheap price at A2 hosting to simplify the process.
Once you sign up, A2 hosting will configure your domain name and install WordPress for you…which means you officially have a working travel blog.
After you have purchased this domain name, A2 Hosting will send you a confirmation email, which contains account information that you will use for web + links for you to proceed to install the web.
Just follow the link and the specific & easy instructions from there so you can install WordPress.org for the blog.
Step 4: Choose a travel blog theme
After you’ve finished the framework, here’s the next step you need to make for your newly created travel blog: Make it beautiful!
WordPress itself also offers a lot of pretty and completely free themes. The plus point is that it is … beautiful and free, but the minus point is easy to duplicate (because there are so many, everyone is using it) and free goods are of course not in stock … there is a charge!
With a free theme, it is difficult to customize it in many ways you want, and if the theme has any errors, it will not help immediately. You can only post questions on the forum and wait for the unsuccessful people.
For premium themes, ie paid themes, the advantages include you have more choices (between hundreds of thousands of different themes) → the ability to “touch” the theme is also less, very customer service. good (you can email the developer to ask directly) and of course there are many different features for you to “color” your web. When you pick an existing travel blog theme, you’ll instantly get set up with a great-looking travel blog
Beyond those lists, here are three specific options to get you started:
- Travel Blog
- The Trip
For example, the Soledad theme has:
- A travel template
- 32 pre-made featured slider styles
- Stylish image galleries with lightbox
- Pinterest and Twitter slider widget
All these built-in features make it super simple to start a travel blog.
To install your chosen theme, visit your WordPress dashboard and click Appearance → Themes → Add New.
Most WordPress installations contain some default themes, as shown below.
These themes are very simple, so you need to find many other options. Please select the theme for travel themes available for you.
For example, select the Add New button and see what appears when you type the keyword “travel” to find:
There are many beautiful options. However, you should not select a theme because of its interface. If you make the right choice, you’ll use the theme for years, so be careful to choose, and remember it a bit hard.
Here are some tips to help you choose a WordPress travel theme. You need to find themes that have:
- Many positive reviews. Often we will need at least 10 reviews with a score of more than 4 (above 5) to choose a theme.
- Newly updated. Do not use a theme that has too little updates and has not been updated for a long time like a few months. It may have been abandoned not developed anymore. And an outdated theme will become your headache later.
- Your material. Ideally, a detailed set of documents is included. This will save you time when you want to customize or add features to it.
Since we are making travel websites, choose the options in this market.
If you find a nice travel destination that satisfies all of the above requirements, please install it. If you look in WordPress’s dashboard, just click the Install button. The installation process takes only a few seconds, then you press the Activate button:
Before continuing, note that you shouldn’t choose free themes to start creating travel blogs. There are many premium themes, and often it has more important features than free themes.
Step 5: Install helpful plugins for travel blogs
There is only one step left to complete the lesson on how to create a travel blog. Before starting the first post, try installing the plugins you might need. Plugin WordPress are extensions to add functionality to this platform.
Adding new plugins is similar and easy as a theme. There are thousands of options here in WordPress Plugin Directory, So we recommend that you spend a few hours learning about it.
Check out the WordPress plugins that a travel blog might need. Eg, WP Travel Engine help you create travel packages, book it, and pay:
So, for example, you need to write about the trips you just went. You can create a travel package containing the points you have gone and show it on the website, so readers can easily imagine.
Another option is Travelpayouts help you make money from travel blog by affiliate system:
With this plugin, you can help visitors find cheap hotel deals and flights. If they place through your link, you will receive a commission fee.
After you have found the plugins, you just need to install it now. You just need to use the Plugins> Add New tab.
It will show up the plugins in the WordPress repository. You can then install it right in the dashboard using the Install Now button next to the plugin:
Then wait for this plugin to install, you will see the Activate button pop up, just click on it to finish. The plugin will be ready to run.
After you are satisfied with the plugin you choose, it’s time to work and publish your first post. Your WordPress travel blog can is ready to work!
Beyond those must-haves, you’ll also want some specific travel plugins. While this can vary depending on your focus area, here are some good ideas:
- Plugins like TravelPayouts help you add a travel booking capability to your blog. It helps your visitors find deals on flights and hotels to different locations while you earn a commission
- Google Analytics (GA) – This is a tool to measure blog traffic and collect data about your audience (age, gender, whereabouts, most viewed articles, reader behavior … ). If you want the web to grow well, nothing is more important than understanding your readers. And here is the tool to help you do that.
Step 6: Create and add content
Once you’ve set up your travel blog’s foundation, you’re ready to start adding content. To write blog posts in WordPress, go to Posts –> Add New in your WordPress dashboard.
From there, you can use the Add Media button to insert images and the text editor to write and format your content:
Step 7: Build your blog’s audience make money travel blogging
There are a few channels you can use to grow your blog’s traffic free.
With millions of active users, social media can help your content reach the right audience. Adding Social media share buttons makes it easy for readers to share your content. Instagram and Pinterest are suitable platforms to promote your blog, and should form part of your free traffic source.
There are many ways to advertise your web, including post Facebook, ask friends to share articles, then share all the related groups and… comment. Beyond that, you should also learn about SEO and topics like keyword research.
Building an email list is another great way to grow a long-term audience.
How to make money from your travel blog
Once your starts to get some traffic, here are some ways that you can make money travel blogging:
- Affiliate marketing: You can have affiliates for almost everything – accommodation, travel gear, hotel, etc. Every time someone clicks on a link resulting in the purchase of an affiliate’s product, you earn a (small) commission.
- Google Adsense: Google generates ads relevant to travel on your blog. When visitors click on the offered ads, you earn revenue
- Offer personalized advice: Offer travel related advice for payment of a fee, or offer personalized or guided tours of specific places, or curate travel plans
- Sponsored posts: Travel related businesses may pay you to write about them on your blog. Just make sure to be transparent.
- Sponsored trips: Tourism boards, private companies or brands can ask you to visit their places and write about it.
For travel bloggers, the most popular are the 15 € discount links when booking at booking.com, a refund of USD 42 for rooms of $ 82 or more at Airbnb, a 10% discount when booking at booking.com, etc.
That wraps up our guide. If you made it this far, congratulations on creating your own travel blog!